border="0"> Snow Trapped Southern Girl


Monday, February 11, 2008

The things you remember

Isn't it funny the things that you remember from when you were a kid? Yesterday, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was on HBO Family. So, we decided to watch it. Now I have seen this movie hundreds of times. But this time, I was reminded of the very first time I saw it.

I was young, maybe 7ish, and I was staying with my Granny in Lincolnton. I can't remember why I was staying there other that its one of the times I remember staying the night, actually I think it was a couple nights - yes, yes it was. And I remember it being warm so it was either the spring or early summer. I remember that my sister wasn't there. It was just me and Granny. And she had cable. We didn't have cable at that time at my house. (I also remember watching a black and white movie with Bob Hope too but that is a different story)

Granny had just made me a big tall glass of chocolate milk and I sat down to watch Willy Wonka. I remember it like it was yesterday. I instantly fell in love with this movie.

So yesterday as I was watching I remembered Granny's house, the cuckoo clock on the wall by the door, the light coming in the window. The old black and white pictures she had in the room. The sofa and chairs. But as I was remembering all these wonderful things, I also remembered one of the most terrifiying times of my life. That.damn.monkey. Yes, I said damn.monkey. (now right about now as my Mom and Dad are reading this they are laughing - cause they know exactly what I am talking about).

See this thing....



Creeps me right the crap out. My Granny had one of these horrible things and she had to hide it when I came over. But my sister ALWAYS found it and proceeded to torture me with this stupid thing until I was screaming and crying and in hysterics. Oh how they would laugh until Granny would scold them all and put it away again.

Even Wikipedia says this thing is scary:

A Cymbal-banging monkey toy is a mechanical depiction of a monkey holding a cymbal in each hand. When activated it repeatedly bangs its cymbals together and, in some cases, bobs its head. There are both traditional wind-up versions as well as updated battery-operated cymbal-banging monkeys. They are often created with red rings painted around their wide-open eyes, creating an appearance many find creepy and disturbing, perhaps explaining their many appearances in horror/scifi media.


See....did you read that? CREEPY and DISTURBING!! That horrible thing is just pure evil!

Cheeky who says my revenge for these deeds will be sweet one day but right now needs to rid her mind of this horrible creature and relax so I am gonna sing a little tune from Willy Wonka.....



Hold your breath
Make a wish
Count to three

Come with me
And you'll be
In a world of
Pure imagination
Take a look
And you'll see
Into your imagination

We'll begin
With a spin
Traveling in
The world of my creation
What we'll see
Will defy
Explanation

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Wanta change the world?
There's nothing
To it

There is no
Life I know
To compare with
Pure imagination
Living there
You'll be free
If you truly wish to be

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Wanta change the world?
There's nothing
To it

There is no
Life I know
To compare with
Pure imagination
Living there
You'll be free
If you truly
Wish to be

Labels:


Posted byWendy aka Cheeky :: 8:48 AM :: 22 Singing with Cheeky

Sing with Cheeky