border="0"> Snow Trapped Southern Girl


Tuesday, January 29, 2008

OK OK so I am a dork

I know this. I don't try to hide it. I have embraced my dorkdom! I like goofy movies from the 80's. I like goofy movies from the 80's that are also musicals. Case in point. Xanadu. (Shell, quit rolling your eyes at me!)



Yes, you read that correctly. Xanadu. As a kid, I had the soundtrack. On vinyl and it was cool (Shut up it was cool!). I knew all the songs (well duh like you thought any differently). ELO and Olivia Newton-John. Never was there a better pairing except for maybe John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John but I digress....back to Xanadu.

So, I was in my craft room yesterday watching Xanadu on Netflix Watch Instantly (have I told you how much I lurve me some watch instantly? Cause I do!) while I was doing a few cards (which by the way are pictured over on my craft blog - Cheeky's pages - over there in the blogroll - go check it out). I amazed myself that I remembered EVERY.SINGLE.SONG......WORD.FOR.WORD.....NOTE.FOR.NOTE. I haven't heard these songs in well over 20 years (probably more actually - I am sure it has been longer - oh lord I am old) and I knew every single word. AND YES, I sang them out loud! No, no one was here to hear me - it was their loss I guess cause I was good. Reeeeaaaal Goooood!

Yes, the movie itself was a little on the cheesy side. Ok a lot on the cheesy side. But the music - ahhhhh the music! And as I watched it I was taken back with every scene. I instantly remembered the album cover that I had and the screen shots that were pictured. Gene Kelly dancing and roller skating. I even forgot that one of the dancers from Solid Gold (the black chick that always had the really loooooong braids and was so cool and such a good dancer - well for the 80's - ya'll remember Solid Gold don't ya?) and the dude from Breakin' 2 Electric Boogaloo was in it too (see I told ya I know way too much of this pop culture stuff). It was just.....just ......just so Xanadu! Made me want to put on my roller skates (the four wheel kind) and boogie oogie oogie till I just can't boogie no more! And is it me or does Michael Beck (who plays Sonny Malone) look a weee bit like Heath Ledger (RIP)?

But the music - the songs. I can't believe I loved all this cheesy stuff. And cheesy it is - but I don't care - I.LOVE.IT. Do you hear me? Let me say it again - I.LOVE.IT. Magic. I'm Alive. Suddenly (with Cliff Richard). Suspended In Time (one of my favs). Dancin'. Don't Walk Away. All over the World. Oh I love them all!!!!

Xanadu! Ahhhhhh I think I will be watching this one on a regular basis - oh not for the cinematography or the acting skills. But just to hear the music (unless of course someone wants to send me a copy of the soundtrack...hint hint hint) cause that would be so way cool.

Cheeky who is singing....well duh.....Xanadu....you know you want to - come on embrace your inner dorkdom - sing out loud with me!




A place where nobody dared to go
The love that we came to know
They call it Xanadu

And now
Open your eyes and see
What we have made is real
We are in Xanadu

A million lights are dancing
And there you are
A shooting star
An everlasting world
And you're here with me
Eternally

Xanadu, Xanadu,
(now we are here)
In Xanadu
Xanadu, Xanadu,
(now we are here)
In Xanadu

Xanadu, your neon lights will shine
For you, Xanadu

The love
The echoes of long ago
You needed the world to know
They are in Xanadu

The dream
That came through a million years
That lived on through all the tears
It came to Xanadu

A million lights are dancing
And there you are
A shooting star
An everlasting world
And you're here with me
Eternally

Xanadu, Xanadu,
(now we are here)
In Xanadu
Xanadu, Xanadu,
(now we are here)
In Xanadu

Now that I'm here
Now that you're near in Xanadu
Now that I'm here
Now that you're near in Xanadu
Xanadu...

Labels:


Posted byWendy aka Cheeky :: 7:03 AM :: 22 Singing with Cheeky

Sing with Cheeky