border="0"> Snow Trapped Southern Girl


Monday, January 26, 2009

Time to share

So, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I have been using my crock pot quite a bit lately and I thought it was time to share one of the better recipes with you. I will give you the recipe as it is written....then I will tell you how I make it (don't ya'll remember I only use recipes as a guideline?). This is sorta of similar to the potato soup I shared a while back but not totally - which is why I said sorta similar......

Now keep in mind most of recent recipes have been from a light cooking cook book but I have managed to find ways to fatten it up a bit.


Ham and Scalloped Potatoes
(Recipe as written)

1 1/2 lbs. of98% fat-free Ham cut into 8 pieces
8-10 medium potatoes peeled and sliced thin
2 onions peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup of fat free grated American or Cheddar cheese
1 can of 98% fat free cream of celery soup
paprika

1. Layer half of ham, potatoes, and onions in slow cooker. Sprinkle with half of the salt and pepper and then half the grated cheese.
2. Repeat Layers
3. Spoon undiluted soup over the ingredients
4. Cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4 hours


OK now fat free is fine....but ummmmmm I didn't use the fat free stuff


My version

Big chunk of left over ham that I had frozen from Christmas cut up in chunks.
Ummm enough potatoes for me to say "yeah that looks good" cut into big chunks...not sliced.
salt and pepper to taste
Onions - diced
2 cans of creamy soup (one celery and one chicken)
1 can of chicken broth to make it like a really thick soup

Cook all day. Then about oh I don't know maybe 1/2 hour before you wanna eat - throw in your cheese so it can get all melty.

Now that is one hearty meat and taters meal.

Posted byWendy aka Cheeky :: 5:50 AM :: 8 Singing with Cheeky

Sing with Cheeky