border="0"> Snow Trapped Southern Girl


Friday, December 15, 2006

I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watching Me

OK so I really am becoming a cat lady. But I just couldn't help showing ya'll this. Kitty Girl has a new perch in my office (the throne is still there and we are still forbidden to use it). See this....







Yep, she has decided that one of the shelves in my office is a great place for her to park her prissy bootay and supervise my work. Talk about micromanaging...geesh!

The man child is home with me again today - poor thing is gonna hack up a lung. The fever is gone so that is good. He is really taking this like a trooper.


OK on to yummier things....

I am a slacker, I know that. And I have commented on a few blogs lately about a wonderful potato soup recipe that I have so I guess it is time for me to share it with you. Now keep in mind, I just use this recipe as a guideline - I add my own little twists.

Ingredients:
*1 Tablespoon of ham base (ok, nobody has this in their kitchen nor do they want to go buy it - so I just substitute a little ham - and it can be any kind and I usually use the smoked or virginia ham variety from the deli - basically my sandwich meat)
*1 Quart of Chicken Stock (I don't really measure, I just use a box of stock - give or take depending on the amount I am making)
*6 Tablespoons of margarine - divided (Hey, I didn't say this was healthy-just good)
*1/4 pound of onion diced (who really measures the weight of diced onion? - I just use one large one - or whatever I have on hand)
*1 pound of potato - diced (again I don't weigh it - I just look at it and say - yep that looks good and adjust the amount of stock I need to cover it for cooking)
*3/4 teaspoon of black pepper (now this I measure exactly - it is the perfect amount)
* 1 and 1/2 ounces of flour
*1 cup of milk (again I adjust for my taste - this is what makes it creamy so I will sometimes use whole milk or half and half or whatever is in the fridge and will adjust for the amount of potatos I have used)
*Salt to taste

Preparation:
Melt 3 tablespoons of margarine in your pot and saute the onions until transparent. Add the potato and pepper and stir until completely mixed. Add the chicken stock and stir (now remember this is soup so make sure you have plenty here but not too much or it will be watery). This is also where I add the salt and the ham. Just basically mince the ham - and add to the soup mix, you don't want chunks just the flavor. I would just use a few slices - depending on your preference. Salt to taste.

While the taters are boiling - melt the other 3 tablespoons of margarine (just nuke it in the microwave but don't forget to cover it) and mix in the flour to form a roux. Once the taters are fully cooked, slowly add the roux to the pot (little at a time and whisk good otherwise you will get lumps and that's just not yummy). This will cause the soup to thicken. Bring it back to a boil then slowly add your milk - again stirring or whisking (your choice) constantly. Once everything is mixed well remove from heat.

Garnish and serve (ok we garnish with some fried and chopped bacon, scallions, and shredded cheese - mmmm mmmm good).


So there you have it - Rachel Ray ain't go nothin on me! (Ok so she could totally kick my butt in cooking). If you make it let me know if you liked it - if you didn't you can just ummmm keep that to yourself mmmmmkay? If you added a twist of your own that just really added that little something extra - let me know too.

Posted byWendy aka Cheeky :: 9:16 AM :: 8 Singing with Cheeky

Sing with Cheeky