border="0"> Snow Trapped Southern Girl


Friday, January 12, 2007

It's Finally Friday...I'm Free Again....

Lots of busy stuff this week. But first let me give you the BEFORE........





And the AFTER.....



That's right - meet Brace Face (hehe). See in the before how she is all happy and excited to get them? Well, she is hurting now and not quite so happy about it. I warned her...but noooooooooooooo. Well, she will have about 2 years of me saying "I told you so" coming her way.


The man child graduated from Gold belt to Green belt this week. We were proud. He was all serious while some of the other little kiddos were goofing around. Here he is in action before getting the green....




OK enough of the fun stuff. I have been thinking about how to write this over the week. So here goes. This week I get a call from school. The man child said something to a little girl in passing. He wasn't being malicious or calling this little girl a "bad name" just asking an innocent question, but yet they took him out of the room and to the office for it. He wasn't in "trouble" but the humilation of going to the office was enough I think. What did he say you ask? Well that's just it. He was just talking to another student in his class, a little girl and he casually asked her if she was a lesbian. (OK stop laughing....ok giggle a little...just the visualization of a little kid asking another little kid...ok stop laughing). He was overheard by the substitute and even she said he was just asking a question. Now, he doesn't even know what lesbian means. Ummm he is 8 and we just haven't had "the talk" - he is just a wee bit young for "the talk". (Let me just say right here for the record, I am open minded. I judge people based on how they treat me, my family and others. Not by the color of their skin, the country they were born in, their religious affliation or their sexual preferences. I have some great friends that are gay. Quite frankly I have a very diversified group I call friends and I have taught my kids the same thing). Once the school figured out that he really didn't know what he was saying, they were going to explain it to him but then stopped short and decided that was my place (which I am glad - that is a conversation for ME not them). But that brings me to the question, why was what he asked offensive? Isn't it a double standard to teach acceptance of differences then to call a kid out for asking a question when he was not being "ugly" about it? Would they have called him out if he asked another kid if they were Catholic or Baptist or "insert diversified word here"? I am not upset that they felt the need to make sure he wasn't being malicious or mean. I understand that and if that were the case I would definately have a different viewpoint. I guess I am just confused. So, do we accept differences but not talk about them? What do ya'll think?

Cheeky who wonders if she has just opened up a serious can of worms.....

Posted byWendy aka Cheeky :: 8:04 AM :: 20 Singing with Cheeky

Sing with Cheeky